Chakrata : A Hidden Jewel
Chakrata in Uttarakhand is a scenic, beautiful and charming hill station, surrounded by the majestic Himalayan range. It is still untouched by commercialization and tourist chaos and crowd, you can have a peaceful and soulful experience traveling here. It is situated 100 Kms from Dehradun surrounded by beautiful hills all around. It is a small hill town that offers a few but amazing local attractions and some exciting activities. You can trekking and camping around the place here in Mundoli meadow, Deoban forest range. Chakrata is one of the few places where foreign national are not allowed to visit. Deoban forest range in chakrata has Asia’s oldest Deodar trees. This place is a perfect destination for peace seekers who wants to spend some time away from the chaos and crowd of cities.
Places of Interest
Situated at an elevation of 2118 meters above sea level Chakrata is mystical hilly town in Dehradun district of Uttarakhand, India , perfect weekend getaway. Chakrata is a sensational visit and a treat for one’s soul. Chakrata sure takes one away from the mundane city life as one relaxes in the lap of Mother Nature. If you are planning to visit the place, do not miss these tourist spots: Tiger falls, Mundoli meadow, Deoban forest range, Budher caves, Chilmiri view point etc.
- Tiger Falls- Tiger Falls is a magnificent and breathtaking waterfall, cascading down the hill to form a small pond at the bottom. Surrounded by the hills all around, you can reach here by a small walk. Visitors enjoy a rejuvenating and refreshing bath below the 50metres waterfall in a shallow pond. Enjoy the serenity of the falls and the surroundings by having a small picnic beside the pond.Untouched by commercialization, Tiger Fall is a favorite attraction among basic trekkers as well as a remote picnic spot for family and friends.
- Mundoli Meadow- Mundoli is a tourist spot near Chakrata famous for majestic Himalayan views and skiing in winters. Located at 36 kms from Chakrata, Mundoli is encircled by lush green forests and its alpine meadows provides skiing at an altitude of 2776 metres. Tourists enjoys views of snow-capped mountains in winters and greenery in summers from Mundoli. It’s also a great place for trekking and nature walks among adventure enthusiasts and couples.
- Deoban forest range- Deoban is a picturesque spot near Chakrata town. As the Deoban (Devban) name suggest ‘Gods own Forest‘, it has an true peaceful environment giving inner calmness. Visitors can witness scenic hilly terrains from Deoban as it is located at an altitude of 2200 metres to 3025 metres above sea level. Vyas Shikhar is highest peak in Devban and from there you may experience marvellous Himalayan views.
- Budher caves- Budher is a place famous for its historic caves, Budher Caves. These caves are also well known by the name of Miola Caves as a German national, Miola discovered the caves. Best known for their stalactite and stalagmite formations, Budher caves are ideal for some exploration adventure. Budher caves are still unexplored due to unknown, difficult trail. It is one of the offbeat locations in Chakrata. Legends believe that Budher caves were built by Pandavas of Mahabharata epic to escape when their castle was set on fire and it is believed to be more than 150 kms in length during that time.
- Chilmiri View point- One of the peak points, Chilmiri is where the cantonment is located surrounded by lush green deodar forests. You can view the Rohini Peak, Swarga Peak and the Banderpoonch Massif from here offering a breathtaking view of the surrounding mountains and peaks which makes it one of the many popular Chakrata attractions. The sunset is another beauty you can experience from this point.
Other places nearby Chakrata- Mussoorie, Kalsi, Kanasar, Yamuna river, Nag Tibba trek, Lakhamandal.
Day 01: Dehradun to Chakrata to Tiger Falls, 80km Drive, 2.5 Hrs approx
- Travelers will be picked Dehradun and drive to Chakrata.
- Get ready to visit the tiger falls, it is approx. 25km and takes an hour.
- Now Get ready for some sight seeing, visit to the Chakrata local market different from the ones from the big cities.
- Travel to the Stay location followed by the Dinner.
Day 02: Budher Caves to Dehradun , 40km drive, 60 mins approx
- Wake up call to witness the emphatic view of the sunrise.
- After Breakfast get ready to travel to Budher caves. Budher caves are the ancient caves believed to be built by Pandavas of Mahabharata epic.
- The trek to budher caves is 2.5kms, giving you a great view from there.
- Sight seeing to Kanasar forest range. It is a dense forest with very old Deodar trees, which also Asia’s biggest trees.
- Travel back to the Dehradun.
Optional : You Can also opt for Mundoli Meadows in place of Budher Caves.
Your Trip with TheSearchingSouls Completes here. Have a happy journey ahead.