THE HIGHEST LORD SHIVA TEMPLE IN THE WORLD
Not Operational due to COVID 19
Mode of Transportation
Summary of Tungnath Trekking
|Duration||3 Days/ 2 Night|
|Start Point||Sari village|
|End Point||Sari village|
|Tungnath Altitude / Tungnath Trek Distance||⛰13,123 ft / 📍12 kms|
Tungnath Chandrashilla Peak Trek
Tungnath Chandrashila trek lies in the Himalayan region of Uttrakhand. The 3 days trek covers a lot of beautiful places in Uttrakhand like Chopta, Deoriyatal, Tungnath Shiva temple, Chandrashila peak (4000m). Chopta is a small hill station in Uttrakhand comprised of meadows and evergreen forest with treks & camping. Chopta is known for its sunset beauty, you have never seen the sunset like that happens in Chopta. It is covered in snow in winters till March. People from all over the country come here to witness beauty of the region and adventurous people enjoys camping & trekking. Chopta is a perfect holiday destination for family & friends to spend a quality time together in the Himalayas. The trail offers scenic views with glimpses of the state bird Monal.
Deoriatal is a very beautiful emerald lake situated amid dense forests of Rhododendron and Oak forests in the Kedarnath Musk Deer Sanctuary in Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand. Perched at an elevation of 2438 metres above sea level, Deoriatal offers a reflection of mighty Chaukhambha peak in its crystal clear water. The trail to Deoriatal is of 3km of easy grade starting from a small village Sari. The trek to Deoriatal is done in combination with Tungnath Chandrashila trek which makes it a must do trek for all types of people.
Tungnath or famously known as the Tungnath temple is a sacred temple dedicated to Lord Shiva located in the mountain ranges of the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand. Perched at an astonishing elevation of 3680 metres above sea level, this temple is the highest Shiva temple in the world, and highest among the other Panch Kedar temples. The temple has a magnificient architecture and is beleived to be 1000 years old. This temple has mythological background associated with Mahabharata. It is said that in order to escape from the Pandavas Lord Shiva disguised himself in the form of bull and took refuge underground. The places where the parts are found are renowned temples and part of the Panch Kedar. Tungnath was the place where his hands were spotted.
Chandrashilla also known as the Moon Peak is the peak situated above the Tungnath Temple at an elevation of 4000 metres above sea level. One can view mighty Himalayan peaks from the summit point of Chandrashilla peak namely Mt. Nanda Devi, Chaukhambha Parvat, Kedar Dome, Bandarpoonch etc. The legend says that it was on this peak where Lord Rama meditated after defeating the Demon King Ravana. A small temple is situated at the summit point of Chandrashila peak. The trek to Tungnath- Chandrashila starts from a small town Chopta in the Rudraprayag district and is a mild trek of 6 km from Chopta.
What is special about Tungnath trekking?
- The trail being of easy grade, is suitable to every age group and people, as compared to other Himalayan treks
- As compared to summit treks of Uttarakhand, it is the most easily accessible trek
- It makes you reach, of Tungnath, The highest Shiva Temple in the world
- The trek offers a complete 360-degree view of mighty Himalayan peaks
- Achievement of summiting a Himalayan peak of 4000 metres without much stress.
- You can easily spot some great Himalayan birds during the trail, especially Monal, the National Bird of Nepal on the trails to Tungnath and Chandrashilla. If you are lucky Himalayan Tahr can also be spotted at times
- This is few of the Himalayan Treks which is accessible throughout the year. Though from Dec to Feb the trek comes under moderate category due to heavy snow fall in the region
Tungnath Trekking Trip Video
TUNGNATH TREK ITINERARY
Day 01:Haridwar to Deoriyatal via Sari Village
- The trekkers will be picked up from Haridwar 7.00 AM from where the journey will begin
- A 233 km road ride to Sari Village followed by a trek of 2.5 Kms from our campsite at Deoriyatal. Drive across the cities of Rishikesh, Devprayag and Rudraprayag travelling along side the River Ganga experiencing some best of the views during the travel.
- Breakfast and lunch during the travel will be provided in the road side ins which needs to be paid by individual
- 2.5 Km Trek to Deoriyatal Camp site. It takes around one and a half hour to reach Deoriyatal
- Arrival at the campsite followed by evening refreshments and introduction session with the trek leader
- Dinner and rest at the campsite.
Day 02: Deoriyatal Campsite to Tungnath-Chandrashilla
- Trek down to Sari village from Deoriyatal Camp site
- Breakfast at Sari Village
- 16 Km Drive to Chopta· 4.5 km ascend trek to Tungnath temple on a maintained trail of easy to moderate grade.
- Rest at the Tungnath temple followed by a moderate trek of 1.5 km to Chandrashilla Peak from the temple.
- Packed lunch at the Chandrashilla peak and excursion back to campsite descending 6 km.
- Evening snacks and dinner at the campsite followed by rest in the camp
Day 03: Chopta Campsite to Haridwar
- A 230 km drive back to Haridwar from Chopta post breakfast.
- Lunch and evening snacks will be provided in the road side inns.
- Expected time of arrival in Haridwar will be 9 PM. So you can plan your travel further accordingly.
Essentials to carry with you on this Trek
- Backpack/Ruck Sack (at least 55 Litres) and a small day bag ( upto 15 litres) for summit day
- Poncho/Raincoat and Rain Cover for Ruck Sack
- 2 Quick Dry T-shirts (preferably Full Sleeves) and Track Pants
- Warm Jacket preferably a down jacket or an equivalent heavy jacket to protect from cold at night
- Comfortable Shoes with a good grip and ankle support. We recommend Quechua Forclaz 100 or similar shoe
- A pair of fleece jacket or fleece upper
- Good Thermals for insulation at night
- Lip Balm and Cold Cream
- Sun Cap or Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Dark Sunglasses. People who wear spectacle may use photo-chromatic lenses in their spects
- 2 pair of warm socks and at least 2 pair of normal cotton socks
- 1 Pair of slippers/Sandals
- Woolen Cap and Gloves for night
- Toiletries – Tooth brush, Tooth paste, Liquid soap, Hand Sanitizers, Slippers, Light Towel, Toilet Roll (Avoid wet tissues as they are not eco friendly)
- Torch or Headlamp with extra pair of batteries
- Personal Medical Kit
- Water bottle 1 L or Hydration bag 2 L
- Other personal accessories – Camera, Tripod, mobile charger, power banks(as there will be no electricity during the trek)
- Being a high altitude trek, this trek is suitable for climbers with good physical condition and stamina.
- This is a tentative itinerary which may change as per weather conditions
- We expect you to carry your rucksacks, in case if you want them to be carried by mules back pack offloading charge up to Rs. 300/bag/day is applicable
- In case of any natural calamity the company will not be able to refund the trip charges, for more details check our cancellation policy