Brahmatal Lake Trek
TOUR DATES & ITINERARY! START YOUR DREAM ADVENTURE NOW!
Contact for more details
Mode of Transportation
Summary of Brahmatal Trekking
|Brahmatal Altitude / Brahmatal Trek Distance||⛰12,106 ft / 📍36 kms|
Brahmatal Trek Overview & Itinerary
Not many high altitude treks in our country are accessible in the months of December, January and February. Brahmatal trek being one classic exception among them where trekking in winters is possible. The main reason behind Brahmatal trek to be a success among winter treks is the ample availability of snow and camping alongside frozen Bekaltal lake. To add to the grandeur is the visibility of mighty Himalayan Peaks such as the likes of Mount Trishul and Mount Nanda Ghuti in the backdrops. From the Brahmatal top, one can easily view Himalayan Peaks like Mt. Chaukhambha, Neelkanth, Panchachulli Group of Peaks etc. which is a view worth summiting. The trek to Brahmatal starts from Lohajung lying in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. The trek comprises of trails passing through forests, villages, meadows, frozen lake and finally Brahmatal with high Himalayan peaks in the backdrop. An evening winter walk in the open meadows around the lake is a walk to be remembered forever. It is said by local villagers that Lord Brahma meditated at the Brahmatal Lake making it a sacred lake.
What is special about Brahmatal trekking?
- Trekking in winters is not possible at this altitude but it is one of the few treks which are easily accessible in the peak winter months (Dec to March)
- While trekking witness a different terrain every day, from Oak forest to high altitude meadow and a peak climb on summit day
- The main features of the trek are the beautiful trails with panoramic views of the Himalayan range. Peaks like Mt. Trishul, Mt. Nanda Ghunti and Mt. Mrigthoni can be feels to be at an arms distance
- One gets to witness beautiful frozen lakes – Bekaltal and Brahmatal. These high altitude scenic lakes makes this trek a must visit place if you are looking for trekking in winters.
- The trek also include thrilling summit of Jatropani peak (4100 m)
BRAHMATAL TREK ITINERARY
Day 01: Kathgodam to Lohajung
Altitude: 2337 metres, 230 km drive, approx 8 hours
- Trekkers will be picked up from Kathgodam Railway/Bus Station at 6 a.m.
- 250 km ride to Lohajung,from where the trek starts, in a cab through beautiful roads of Kumaon passing through Almora, Kausani, Gwaldam.
- Arrival at Lohajung(base village for the trek) by 6.p.m.
- Halt and rest day before the trek at the guest house/hotel in Lohajung.
- Dinner at Lohajung.
- A quick introduction with team members and fellow trekkers at the guest house.
Day 02: Lohajung to Bekaltal, First day of trek/hike
Altitude: 2956 metres, 6 km trek
- Excursion from Lohajung to Bekaltal after breakfast, trekking trail comprising of 6 km.
- The trekking trail passes through forest offering variety of flora and fauna and will give way to small village Mandoli. Waterpoints available at the village.
- The trek trail continues in gradual ascents and will pass through the confluence of Kali and Pindar River.
- Arrival at the Bekaltal campsite after the day long trekking.
- Hot lunch at the campsite is ready to serve for the trekkers.
- Evening winter walk to Bekaltal from the campsite.
- Evening refreshments and snacks followed by dinner at the campsite for trekkers.
Day 03: Bekaltal to Brahmatal
Altitude: 3188 metres, 7 km trek
- Hike/trek to Brahmatal lake from the campsite after breakfast.
- The trek will pass through forests of Oak and Rhododendrons before opening up to large meadows of Telandi with Mt. Trishul and Mt. Nanda Ghuti in the backdrop.
- Steep patches in between the trail and carry enough water as trail is deprived of water sources. Water is an essential while trekking.
- Descend down to Brahmatal campsite after the meadow, abig relief to trekkers as last few steps to reach the campsite.
- Arrival at the Brahmatal campsite followed by evening refreshments and rest after the day long hike/trek.
- An evening Winter walk in the meadow around Brahmatal lake.
- The trekkers will be provided dinner and overnight stay at the camps.
Day 04: Brahmatal Lake to Brahmatal Top and Trek back to Brahmatal Lake.
Altitude: 3690 metres, 10 km trek
- Trek to Brahmatal Top from the campsite after the breakfast.
- Moderate to difficult trek to Brahmatal top.
- Every trekker must carry 2-3 litres of water as trail is deprived of water points.
- Arrival at the summit point of the trek with Himalayan peaks like Mt. Trishul, Mt. Nanda Ghuti, Mt. Chaukhambha, Nilgiri, Neelkanth in the backdrops.
- One can also view The Panchachulli Peaks from the summit point of the trek.
- Trekkers can rest & relax and have packed lunch at the Summit point.
- Trek/hike back to Brahmatal campsite from the summit point.
- Arrival at the campsite followed by evening refreshments.
- Trekkers will be provided dinner and stay at the camps.
Day 05: Brahmatal to Lohajung.
Altitude: 2337 metres, 13 km trek
- Trek/Hike to Lohajung from Brahmatal campsite after breakfast.
- 13 km descend trek crossing Bekaltal.
- Trekkers will be arrived at Lohajung in evening.
- Stay at a hotel/guest house in Lohajung(base village of Brahmatal and Roopkund trek).
- Trekkers will be provided dinner at Lohajung followed by rest in hotel.
Day06: Lohajung to Kathgodam
230 km drive
- Departure of trekkers from Lohajung to Kathgodam after the breakfast
- 230 km ride back to Kathgodam via Gwaldam, Kausani, Almora,.
- Expected time of arrival 7 P.M
Essentials to carry with you on this Trek
- Backpack/Ruck Sack (at least 55 Litres) and a small day bag ( upto 15 litres) for summit day of the trek/hike
- Poncho/Raincoat and Rain Cover for Ruck Sack
- 2 Quick Dry T-shirts (preferably Full Sleeves) and Track Pants
- Warm Jacket preferably a down jacket or an equivalent heavy jacket to protect from cold at night
- Comfortable Shoes with a good grip and ankle support. We recommend Quechua Forclaz 100 or similar shoe
- A pair of fleece jacket or fleece upper
- Good Thermals for insulation at night
- Lip Balm and Cold Cream
- Sun Cap or Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Dark Sunglasses. People who wear spectacle may use photochromatic lenses in their spects
- 2 pair of warm socks and at least 2 pair of normal cotton socks
- 1 Pair of slippers/Sandals
- Woolen Cap and Gloves for night
- Toiletries – Light Towel,Tooth brush, Tooth paste, Liquid soap, Hand Sanitizers, Slippers, Light Towel, Toilet Roll (Avoid wet tissues as they are not eco friendly)
- Torch or Headlamp with extra pair of batteries
- Personal Medical Kit
- Water bottle 1 L or Hydration bag 2 L
- Other personal accessories – Camera, Tripod, mobile charger, power banks(as there will be no electricity during the trek)
- Being a high altitude trek, this trek is suitable for climbers with good physical condition and stamina.
- This is a tentative itinerary which may change as per weather conditions
- We expect you to carry your rucksacks, in case if you want them to be carried by mules back pack offloading charge up to Rs. 300/bag/day is applicable
- In case of any natural calamity the company will not be able to refund the trip charges, for more details check our cancellation policy