TOUR DATES & ITINERARY! START YOUR DREAM ADVENTURE NOW!
Mode of Transportation
Summary of Kedarkantha Trekking
|Kedarkantha Altitude / Kedarkantha Trek Distance||⛰12,500 ft / 📍20 kms|
Kedarkantha Overview & Itinerary
Kedarkantha winter trek is considered among the best in the country. Kedarkantha is a majestic Himalayan peak located in Govind Wildlife Sanctuary of Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand. At an elevation of 3812 metres above sea level, Kedarkantha trekking is among very popular giving a feel of summit. Kedarkantha trek distance is 20 kms. Go to the high Himalayan peak with no previous trekking experience due to its ease of grade and accessibility.
The snow remains here till the month of April, which makes it so popular unlike other winter treks. The trek starts from a small village Sankri, hike through dense forests of oak and Rhondendron, a frozen lake or Talab midway and finally a hike to the summit in snowy and chilly conditions.
The prominent Himalayan peaks namely Bandarpoonch, Kalanag, Swargarohini etc are visible from the summit of Kedarkantha. According to legends by locals, it is believed that when Lord Shiva was wandering here in Kedarkantha in his bull avatar to hide from the Pandawas. Meditating at the top of the peak, the local dwellers disturbed his peace so he left the place.
The local villagers also believe that the trident of Lord Shiva erected at the Kedarkantha Peak protects them and keeps the Himalayan rivers replenished. Kedarkantha trek package includes hike of 12 km of easy to moderate grade with some steep stretches on the summit day, thereby making it accessible to first time trekker also. People from all over the India swarms here in winters to feel snow and challenge themselves.
What is special about Kedarkantha trekking?
- If you are looking for a snow trek in the Himalayas accessible in winters, Kedarkantha trekking is for you
- It gives you a feeling of climbing a Himalayan peak without technical climbing
- One of the best treks to hike for beginners
- Beautiful camp sites of Juda ka Talab and Kedarkantha base camp
- Snow laden trails from the very first day
- One of the most famous winter treks of the country
- The view from the summit is mesmerizing where everything looks below your feet
Kedarkanta Trekking Trip Video
KEDARKANTHA TREK ITINERARY
Day 01: Dehradun to Sankri
Altitude: 1920 metres, Travel 256 km, approx 12 hours drive
- The trekkers will be picked up from Dehradun Railway Station at 6.00.a.m. from where the journey will begin. Dehradun is well connected to Delhi through railway and road route. Overnight Buses and Trains are available.
- A 256 km road trip to Sankri from Dehradun crossing Mussuorie, Kempty Falls, Netwar & Purola. Breakfast and lunch during the travel will be provided in the road side inns. The Kedarkantha trek cost for the meals during travel will be paid by the individual.
- Arrival at Sankri village(Base village for the trek), followed by accommodation in a Guest house/Hotel. Dinner and rest at the guesthouse/hotel followed by a quick introduction and briefing session with the trek leader and fellow trekkers.
Day 02: Hike from Sankri to Juda Ka Talab Campsite
Altitude: 2020 metres, 4 km trek
- Hike to Juda Ka Talab campsite after breakfast.
- The trek trail is of easy to moderate ascent passing through dense forests of Oak & Rhondendrone gaining an elevation of about 1000 metres.
- Arrival at Juda Ka Talab campsite followed by lunch and rest in the camps.
- The lake(tal) remains frozen during the winter season and a great sight to watch.
- Trekkers will be provided evening refreshments, dinner at the campsite.
- Overnight stay in the camps.
Day 03: Hike from Juda Ka Talab to Kedarkantha Base Camp
Altitude: 3477 metres, 4 km trek
- Hike to Kedarkantha Base Camp from Juda Ka Talab after breakfast traversing a trail of 4 km.
- Kedarkantha Base camp is situated at an altitude of 3000 metres with no resident population and all covered in snow with peaks Swargarohini, Bandarpoonch and of course Kedarkantha in the backdrops.
- Trekkers will be provided lunch at the base camp.
- An evening acclimatization walk followed by evening refreshments.
- Dinner followed by rest in the camps.
Day 04: Hiking-Kedarkantha Base Camp to Kedarkantha Summit to Hargaon Base Camp.
Altitude: 3812 metres, 16 km trek
- Early morning hike to Kedarkantha Peak at 5.a.m. after breakfast.
- Steep and moderate climb of 4 km with level walks in between.
- Every trekker must carry at least 1-2 liters of water individually as the trail is deprived of water points.
- Reach the summit of Kedarkantha to witness sunrise. have some quality time there.
- Hike back to base camp for lunch and half an hour relax.
- Hike back to Hargaon Base camp from the base camp.
- Refreshments and evening snacks after arriving at the campsite.
- Dinner and rest in Camps.
Day 05: Travel from Sankri to Dehradun
Altitude: 1920 metres, 256 km drive
- Hike down to Sankri Village from Hargaon camp after breakfast at Hargaon camp
- Drive to Dehradun from Sankri village, a 200 km drive via Netwar, Purola, Kempty Falls & Mussoorie..
- Expected arrival time at Dehradun will be 10 P.M.
Essentials to carry with you on this Trek
- Backpack/Ruck Sack (at least 55 Litres) and a small day bag ( upto 15 litres) for summit day
- Poncho/Raincoat and Rain Cover for Ruck Sack
- 2 Quick Dry T-shirts (preferably Full Sleeves) and Track Pants
- Warm Jacket preferably a down jacket or an equivalent heavy jacket to protect from cold at night
- Comfortable Shoes with a good grip and ankle support. We recommend Quechua Forclaz 100 or similar shoe
- A pair of fleece jacket or fleece upper
- Good Thermals for insulation at night
- Lip Balm and Cold Cream
- Sun Cap or Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Dark Sunglasses. People who wear spectacle may use photochromatic lenses in their spects
- 2 pair of warm socks and at least 2 pair of normal cotton socks
- 1 Pair of slippers/Sandals
- Woolen Cap and Gloves for night
- Toiletries – Tooth brush, Tooth paste, Liquid soap, Hand Sanitizers, Slippers, Light Towel, Toilet Roll (Avoid wet tissues as they are not eco friendly)
- Torch or Headlamp with extra pair of batteries
- Personal Medical Kit: Diamox-Mountain Sickness, Crocin-Fever, Avomine-Motion Sickness, Avil 25mg – Allergies, Combiflam, Disprin-headache, Norflox TZ & Lomofen-diarrhea, digene-acidity, omez/rantadine antacid, crepe bandages, band aids, ORS, betadiene or antiseptic cream, moov spray/volini, cotton, gauze.
- Water bottle 1 L or Hydration bag 2 L
- Other personal accessories – Camera, Tripod, mobile charger, power banks(as there will be no electricity during the trek)
- Being a high altitude trek, this trek is suitable for climbers with good physical condition and stamina.
- This is a tentative itinerary which may change as per weather conditions
- We expect you to carry your rucksacks, in case if you want them to be carried by mules back pack offloading charge up to Rs. 300/bag/day is applicable
- In case of any natural calamity the company will not be able to refund the trip charges, for more details check our cancellation policy