TOUR DATES & ITINERARY! START YOUR DREAM ADVENTURE NOW!
Send Enquiry & Get Itinerary on Whats App
MODE OF TRANSPORTATION
|Altitude / Trek Distance||12,500 ft /20 kms|
|Day Temperature||15 to 20 Deg|
|Night Temperature||02 to -8 Deg|
200+ 5 Star Google Reviews for Kedarkantha Trek
How We Make Treks Comfortable and Safe for you?
Kedarkantha Overview & Itinerary
Kedarkantha trek is considered among the best winter trek in the country. Kedarkantha is a majestic Himalayan peak located in Govind Wildlife Sanctuary of Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand at an elevation of 3812 metres above sea level. The snow remains here till the month of April, which makes it so popular unlike other winter treks. The trek starts from a small village Sankri, hike through dense forests of oak and Rhododendron, a frozen lake or Talab midway and finally a hike to the summit in snowy and chilly conditions. The prominent Himalayan peaks namely Bandarpoonch, Kalanag, Swargarohini etc are visible from the summit of Kedarkantha.
What is special about Kedarkantha trekking?
- If you are looking for a snow trek in the Himalayas accessible in winters, Kedarkantha trekking is for you
- It gives you a feeling of climbing a Himalayan peak without technical climbing
- One of the best treks to hike for beginners
- Beautiful camp sites of Juda ka Talab and Kedarkantha base camp
- Snow laden trails from the very first day
- One of the most famous winter treks of the country
- The view from the summit is mesmerizing where everything looks below your feet
- The sunrise from the Kedarkantha peak is one of the best
Kedarkantha Trek Video
Kedarkantha Exp. With TSS
KEDARKANTHA TREK ITINERARY
- Pick up from Dehradun Railway Station at 6:30 AM. Dehradun is well connected with Delhi through railway and road route. Overnight Buses and Trains are available.
- A 200 km drive to Sankri Via Mussuorie, Kempty Falls, Netwar & Purola.
- Arrival at Sankri village by evening, Check in Guest house/Hotel. Dinner and rest at the guesthouse/hotel. Quick introduction and briefing about the trek
- Trek to Juda Ka Talab campsite after breakfast.
- The trail is of easy to moderate ascend passing through dense forests of Oak & Rhondendrone Arrival at Juda Ka Talab campsite followed by lunch and rest in the camps.
- The Tal remains frozen during the winter season and a great sight to watch.
- Evening refreshments, Group Activities and dinner at the campsite.
- Overnight stay in the camps.
- Trek to Kedarkantha Base Camp from Juda Ka Talab after breakfast.
- Arrival at base camp around lunch
- An evening acclimatization walk followed by evening refreshments. Early dinner and rest in the camps.
- Early morning Trek to Kedarkantha Peak at 4 AM after light breakfast.
- Steepy and moderate climb of 3.5 km with level walks in between.
- Carry at least 1-2 litres of water individually as the trail is deprived of water points.
- Packed lunch at the summit point of the trek.
- Descend back to Hargaon Base camp from the peak.
- Refreshments and evening snacks after arriving at base camp.
- Dinner and rest in Camps.
- Descend down to Sankri Village from Hargaon camp after breakfast at Hargaon camp
- Arrival by 1:00 PM
- Leave for Dehradun.
- Arrival in Dehradun by 10:30 PM
6D/5N Itinerary also available.
TSS Jumbo Bag
- Backpack/Ruck Sack (at least 55 Litres) and a small day bag ( upto 15 litres) for summit day
- Poncho/Raincoat and Rain Cover for Ruck Sack
- 2 Quick Dry T-shirts (preferably Full Sleeves) and Track Pants
- Warm Jacket preferably a down jacket or an equivalent heavy jacket to protect from cold at night
- Comfortable Shoes with a good grip and ankle support. We recommend Quechua Forclaz 100 or similar shoe
- A pair of fleece jacket or fleece upper
- Good Thermals for insulation at night
- Lip Balm and Cold Cream
- Sun Cap or Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Dark Sunglasses. People who wear spectacle may use photochromatic lenses in their spects
- 2 pair of warm socks and at least 2 pair of normal cotton socks
- 1 Pair of slippers/Sandals
- Woolen Cap and Gloves for night
- Toiletries – Tooth brush, Tooth paste, Liquid soap, Hand Sanitizers, Slippers, Light Towel, Toilet Roll (Avoid wet tissues as they are not eco friendly)
- Torch or Headlamp with extra pair of batteries
- Personal Medical Kit: Crocin-Fever, Avomine-Motion Sickness, Avil 25mg – Allergies, Combiflam, Disprin-headache, Norflox TZ & Lomofen-diarrhea, digene-acidity, omez/rantadine antacid, crepe bandages, band aids, ORS, betadiene or antiseptic cream, moov spray/volini, cotton, gauze.
- Water bottle 1 L or Hydration bag 2 L
- Other personal accessories – Camera, Tripod, mobile charger, power banks(as there will be no electricity during the trek)
- Being a high altitude trek, this trek is suitable for climbers with good physical condition and stamina.
- This is a tentative itinerary which may change as per weather conditions
- We expect you to carry your rucksacks, in case if you want them to be carried by mules back pack offloading charge up to Rs. 300/bag/day is applicable
- In case of any natural calamity the company will not be able to refund the trip charges, for more details check our cancellation policy
Why book with TSS?
The state of Uttarakhand in India has natural amazements in its entirety and this is the reason why this land is known as God’s own land or “Devbhoomi”. This speciality of the place has been successful in attracting a lot of adventure seeking trekkers all throughout the year. One such famous winter trek place isthe Kedarkantha Trek. In fact, this trek is quite aptly entitledas the “Queen of Winter Treks”. Kedarkantha passes through thick pine forests of Govind National Parkand knee deep snow, mesmerizing view from the top. The beautiful and effortless trails along the trek is one of the reasons whyit is even more popular amongst trekkers. Even though the Kedarkantha Trek is situated at an altitude of 12,500 feet, it comes across as an easy on endurance coursefor trekkers.
Synopsis of the Kedarkantha Trek
Our company, The Searching Soul, offers exciting trekking opportunities in the Kedarkantha Trek, a place that offers a magnificent view of the celestialsky, superabundantmeadows and snow paths. We organize Kedarkantha Trek specially for winter trekking as it isa favourable optionfor trekkers during this time of the year. The winter trek of Kedarkantha propounds trekking with adventure in an easy approach which automatically makes it a convenient option. It is fully embraced with natural wonders that makes it one of the most sought after treks in Uttarakhand.The temperature at Kedarkantha goes up to 20 degrees during the summer. However, the weather in winter sees the mountains covered in spotless white snow, making it an exhilarating destination for skiing along with trekking during winters. The temperature can go as low as -10 degrees with the climate remaining cold from November to February.
The base camp for the trek is at Sankri, a scenic little dropsnuggled deep in the mountains. Thecamp is approximately 7-8 hours drive from Dehradun and this journey in itself is enough to overwhelma person. During this drive one can behold majestic glimpses of Mussoorie, Naitwar, Nowgaon, Mori and Purola. Further, the trek traverses the forests of the Kedarkantha peak and lets a person explore the rare alpine flora and fauna. The hike to JudaKaTalab is the crowning accomplishment of this sumptuous trek. The difficulty level of the Kedarkantha Trek varies from season to season. Autumn and summers are great months for beginners to undertake the trek, however, the trek becomes a little more challenging during the winters, especially during the rainy season and only experienced trekkers are recommended to take the trek that time. The long duration of the trek which is of around six days makes the overall experience slightly challenging.
The Searching Soul is prominently a team of three engineers who work with a motive to explore the non-commercialized destinations in India through the medium of trekking. Our aim is to focus on the minor details to make comfort accessible to the trekkers while scouting in the nature. We are an expert and have an upper hand in the tours and excursion activities which are related to trekking.
Kedarkantha Trek comes under easy to moderate category. It is best done in winters from Mid November to Mid April. The main difficulty of the trek is the cold temperature as it is done in peak winters. The temperature drops to -10 degrees on few days making the nights very cold. One should prepare accordingly if planning for this trek.
Kedarkantha Trek cost varies from Rs. 6000 to Rs. 11000 depending on the group size and the time of the year you are planning to do it. Being a very popular trek there are many companies which sell this trek online but only few companies are service providers.
Kedarkantha trek is around 20 kms from Sankri to Sankri. It is one of the most popular winter treks in India.
Yes a beginner can do Kedarkantha trek. If you are a beginner and planning this trek you should have three things in mind.
- Physical fitness : You don’t have to be a fitness freak to do a trek it is just that basic fitness should be maintained. You should not be obese and should not have any medical ailments.
- Mental fitness : You should come with an open mindset and be ready for the harsh conditions winters have to offer.
- Gear : Being a winter trek good gear is extremely essential.
Kedarkantha is mainly done from mid November to mid April. Talking about the best month among these is a difficult option because each month has something to offer. It depends on what you are looking for. In December and January the number of trekkers is much higher on the trail because of the available holidays. In February and march the trails have lesser number of people making it wonderful for people seeking peace away from the crowd.
If you are planning Kedarkantha Trek mobile phones will only be used to click pictures. There is no network available during the trek. From this year (2022) Jio networks are available in Sankri.
It is totally worth as it is one of the few winter treks where the trails are snow laden through out winters. It’s a small trek when it comes to distance but offers remarkable views. It will give you a feeling of climbing a Himalayan mountain.
Yes, it is absolutely safe in December. In fact, most number of trekkers visit in December because of the available Vacations. It is a safe trek and can be done throughout the year except monsoons.