KUARI PASS TREK
Contact for more details
Mode of Transportation
Summary of Kauri Pass Trekking
|Kauri Pass Trek Altitude / Kauri Pass Trek Distance||⛰14,100 ft / 📍26 kms|
Kuari Pass Trek Overview & Itinerary
Kuari Pass trek is one of the oldest treks in the Garwal region of Uttrakhand. In 1905 Lord Curzon, the then Viceroy of India, reached Kuari Pass and from then this trail is referred as The Lord Curzon’s Trail. This trail lies in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. This trek is a hot choice among the trekker community as it provides a stunning view of India’s 2nd and 3rd highest peak namely Mt. Nanda Devi and Mt. Kamet respectively. A constant change in landscape makes it different from other Himalayan treks. One can easily view some great Himalayan peaks from this trek. Apart from Nanda Devi and Kamet the peaks visible are Mt. Neelkanth, Mt. Dronagiri, Mt. Hathi Ghoda, Lampak I & II etc.
Spanning over 5 days, this Kuari Pass trek is of moderate grade. The journey starts from Haridwar till Joshimath, which serves as our base camp. The trek commences from Dhak village which is 12 km above Joshimath. From Dhak, the trail opens up to cliff side villages, forests, open grassland and snow laden Himalayan Peaks in the background.
What is special about Kauri Pass trekking?
- It holds historic importance as it follows the legendary Lord Curzon’s Trail
- View of almost all major Himalayan Peaks of Uttarakhand including Mt. Nanda Devi, which is the highest peak of India within its borders.
- A picturesque trek with beautiful camp sites
- Snow laden trails accessible throughout the year. Kuari Pass trek is beautiful in all seasons.
- Easy to do trek which is good for beginners as well as pro trekkers
- Walk through some of the old villages in the Joshimath region
Kauri Pass Trekking Trip Video
KAURI PASS TREK ITINERARY
Day 01: Haridwar to Joshimath
Altitude: 2050 metres, 274 km drive, approx 12 hours
- The trekkers will be picked up from Haridwar Bus/Railway Station at 6.00.a.m. from where the journey will begin. Haridwar is well connected with Delhi through railway and road route. Overnight Buses and Trains are available.
- A 256 km road ride to Joshimath from Haridwar crossing the cities of Rishikesh, Devprayag and Rudraprayag. Breakfast and lunch during the travel will be provided in the road side inns and will be paid by the individuals.
- Arrival at Joshimath town, accomodation will be in a guest house/hotel.
- Dinner and rest at the guesthouse/hotel followed by a quick introduction and briefing session with the trek leader and fellow travellers.
Day 02: Joshimath to Guling Campsite
Altitude: 2928 metres, 12 km drive and 5.5 km trek
- Excursion to Dhak village from Joshimath after breakfast on a 12 km drive route. The Kuari Pass trek will begin from Dhak village.
- The trail from Dhak is of gradual ascent and comprises of dusty and rocky patches.
- Lunch and refreshments will be served midway between Tugasi village and Guling Campsite.
- Arrival at the campsite with evening refreshments.
- Dinner and rest in the camps.
Day 03: Guling to Lower Khulara Campsite
Altitude: 3389 metres, 5 km trek
- Early morning excursion to Khulara after breakfast covering a distance of 5 km.
- Lower Khulara campsite surrounded by coniferous forests of oak, pine and rhododendron accompanied by a water streams all over the campsite area.
- The trek to Lower Khulara from Guling is of moderate ascent.
- Arrival at the campsite till late lunch hours. Rest at the campsite.
- An acclimatization walk in the evening to prepare for the summit climb.
- Evening refreshments and dinner at the campsite.
Day 04: Lower Khulara to Kuari Pass and back.
Altitude: 3680 metres, 17 km trek
- Early morning ascent to Kuari Pass at 6.a.m. after breakfast.
- Steepy and moderate climb followed by level walks of 5 km.
- Carry atleast1-2 litres of water individually as the trail is deprived of water points.
- Packed lunch will be served at the view point of the pass.
- Descend back to lower Khulara campsite via Khulara from the pass.
- Arrival at the campsite in late evening hours followed by evening snacks.
- Dinner and rest in the camps.
Day 05: Lower Khulara to Joshimath
Altitude: 2928 metres, 11.5 km trek
- Descend down to Joshimath from Lower Khulara campsite via Dhak Village after breakfast.
- Trek till Dhak village followed by 12 km drive to Joshimath from Dhak.
- Reach Joshimath around 2 PM
- Dinner and rest at hotel
Day 06: Drive from Joshimath to Haridwar
- After Breakfast drive to Haridwar
- Arrival at Haridwar around 9:00 PM
Essentials to carry with you on this Trek
- Backpack/Ruck Sack (at least 55 Litres) and a small day bag ( upto 15 litres) for summit day
- Poncho/Raincoat and Rain Cover for Ruck Sack
- 2 Quick Dry T-shirts (preferably Full Sleeves) and Track Pants
- Warm Jacket preferably a down jacket or an equivalent heavy jacket to protect from cold at night
- Comfortable Shoes with a good grip and ankle support. We recommend Quechua Forclaz 100 or similar shoe
- A pair of fleece jacket or fleece upper
- Good Thermals for insulation at night
- Lip Balm and Cold Cream
- Sun Cap or Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Dark Sunglasses. People who wear spectacle may use photochromatic lenses in their spects
- 2 pair of warm socks and at least 2 pair of normal cotton socks
- 1 Pair of slippers/Sandals
- Woolen Cap and Gloves for night
- Toiletries – Tooth brush, Tooth paste, Liquid soap, Hand Sanitizers, Slippers, Light Towel, Toilet Roll (Avoid wet tissues as they are not eco friendly)
- Torch or Headlamp with extra pair of batteries
- Personal Medical Kit: Diamox-Mountain Sickness, Crocin-Fever, Avomine-Motion Sickness, Avil 25mg – Allergies, Combiflam, Disprin-headache, Norflox TZ & Lomofen-diarrhea, digene-acidity, omez/rantadine antacid, crepe bandages, band aids, ORS, betadiene or antiseptic cream, moov spray/volini, cotton, gauze.
- Water bottle 1 L or Hydration bag 2 L
- Other personal accessories – Camera, Tripod, mobile charger, power banks(as there will be no electricity during the trek)
- Being a high altitude trek, this trek is suitable for climbers with good physical condition and stamina.
- This is a tentative itinerary which may change as per weather conditions
- We expect you to carry your rucksacks, in case if you want them to be carried by mules back pack offloading charge up to Rs. 300/bag/day is applicable
- In case of any natural calamity the company will not be able to refund the trip charges, for more details check our cancellation policy