Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
TOUR DATES & ITINERARY! ADVENTURE STARTS NOW!
Send Enquiry & Get Itinerary on Whats App
Call our Hampta Pass Expert Mr. Devasheesh to know more about the trek
Googlee Reviews for Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
KASHMIR GREAT LAKES
|Difficulty Level||Moderate to Difficult|
|Highest altitude||13800 ft|
|Day Temperature||12 to 20 Deg|
|Night Temperature||12 to 0 Deg|
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek - Overview & Itinerary
Kashmir Great lakes trek is one of the most beautiful trek in India. If you want to experience life in HD KGL is the trek for you. If you are a trekker this is the trek you must do. It is a hidden jewel of the Crown of Kashmir. If there is heaven, it is there…it is there.
It is a long trek and requires a very good fitness level and prior trekking experience is recommended. The Nearest airport is Srinagar and the nearest railway station is Jammu.
What is special about Kashmir Great lakes trekking?
- One of the most beautiful Treks in India
- One of the few trekking options available in monsoon
- Most scenic and picturesque trek in India
- Visit Kashmir the crown of India
- Witness everything from meadows, glaciers, passes, and mesmerizing lakes
KASHMIR GREAT LAKES TREK ITINERARY
- Reach Srinagar and get welcomed by our representatives
- On the first day of the Kashmir Lakes Trek, spend time in the dreamlike place of Srinagar known for its refreshing gardens, lakes, and houseboats
- If you wish, you can take an iconic Shikara experience at Dal Lake or amble through Mughal Gardens that unravels many beauties along the way
- Leave by the afternoon and be driven to Sonmarg by evening
- Spend overnight at a campsite in Sonmarg
- Today will be the first day of this enthralling Kashmir great lakes trek!
- After having breakfast at the guesthouse, start with a 3-4km trek from the Sonamarg and reach a roadside eatery, from where you can bag up all the required commodities for the day.
- Here onwards, the trek will be a gradual one and alongside the Sindh River, it will take you through maple and pine forests.
- Completing the hike through the forests, you will be rewarded with the stunning views of the Sonamarg Valley and pictorial streams.
- Here onwards, the trek will descend down and will take you to the snow-covered Shekdur Range.
- Relax around the vicinity for a while before you start trekking towards the Nichnai, which is located around 11,500ft above sea level.
- Upon arrival in Nichnai, check-in into the campsite
- Dinner and overnight stay in the camp.
- Starting early in the morning, around 08:00 AM, wake up to the scenic views and start the trek towards the Nichnai Pass and enjoy the stunning views of the lush valleys and the untouched beauty of the region.
- Hereafter, cross the river and continue hiking through the banks of the river and arrive at the Nichnai Pass or the Vishansar Berry.
- Arriving at the pass, which is located 13,500m above sea level, witness, and enjoy the meticulous beauty of the pass and the snow-covered peaks all around it.
- Hereafter, the trek will undergo a steep descend and will lead you to a pictorial meadow of colorful flowers; while on Kashmire Great lakes trek, you can also catch glimpses of a cascade that finally joins a river.
- Here onwards, continue with the hike and upon arriving at a flat valley, continue towards its end and arrive at the campsite. Gazing on the left of this trail, you can also behold captivating views of the Himalayan Range and also the Vishansar Lake
- Overnight stay in the camp at Vishansar Lake
- Wake up, this chilly morning, witness the Kishansar Peak casting its reflection on the azure lake waters.
- Start the trek for the day towards the lakeside and reach the Kishansar Peak, which is situated around 500ft above the campsite.
- Here onwards, ascend to the other side of the water reservoir. The trek till here comprises both easy and tough terrains.
- Later part of the day, trek towards the Kishansar Lake and finally make it to the Gadsar Pass that is perched at a height of 13,800ft and is the highest point of this trek.
- From the pass, pass through a flowery meadow and some of the pictorial lakes; Yamsar is one of these lakes.
- From here, continue with the descend and after crossing Iris, reach the Gadsar Lake. A picturesque lake, it is adorned with the stunning beauty of exotic flowers and snow on both sides.
- Arriving at the lakeside, report to the nearest Army Camp, and complete the formalities of getting permission to pass Gadsar; ID proofs are a must for this.
- Overnight stay at Gadsar Lake
- Your day will begin with a walk from the army camp towards the stream.
- Brace yourself for varied terrains from super steep, flat, and even land. Take a short break at Maengandob that is fringed by mountains.
- Reach the first of Satsar lakes, which is a group of seven different lakes, and follow the same procedure of yesterday with the army officials and set camps near the surreal first lake of Satsar.
- Overnight stay at Satsar
- A true test of caliber, this is the day when you will have to push your physical and mental limits!
- Trudge through rocks and boulders ridden terrain, pass the last of the Satsar lakes, and start hiking downwards for half an hour till you arrive at the forest line.
- Here onwards, start ascending upward and reach an altitude of 13,400ft; during this climb, you can witness several ridges at different heights and the quaint Gujjar huts as well.
- From the summit, you can also behold the fascinating views of the twin lakes: Gangabal and Nundkol, which are connected to each other by a picturesque stream and are known for trout fishing.
- Post this; trek through a sharp and rocky trail and make it to a gurgling stream, passing which, you will reach a lush meadow that advent towards the Nundkol Lake, which is also a popular weekend getaway among the locals.
- Trekking for around 20 minutes from Nundkol Lake, you will finally arrive at Gangabal Lake, and by crossing the bridge across the lake; you will arrive at the campsite
- Dinner and overnight stay in the camp.
- On your final day of the Kashmir Great Lake Trek, start from the Gangabal camp, ramble on grassy land dotted with yellow flowers and pine forest.
- Descend are reach Naranag, the last leg of your trek. Reach Naranag Village in Ganderbal District. If you wish, you can visit Naranag Temple.
- Be driven back to Srinagar with wonderful memories
1. It is advised to plan a buffer day after this trek and plan your return tickets accordingly
In case the buffer day is used during the trek you need to pay Rs. 1500/person extra to the Trek Leader
2. You need to submit your Medical certificate, Trek Insurance and Aadhar card at least 15 days before the start date of your trek
TSS Jumbo Bag
- Backpack/Ruck Sack (at least 55 Litres) and a small day bag ( upto 15 litres) for summit day
- Poncho/Raincoat and Rain Cover for Ruck Sack
- 2 Quick Dry T-shirts (preferably Full Sleeves) and Track Pants
- Warm Jacket preferably a down jacket or an equivalent heavy jacket to protect from cold at night
- Comfortable Shoes with a good grip and ankle support. We recommend Quechua Forclaz 100 or similar shoe
- A pair of fleece jacket or fleece upper
- Good Thermals for insulation at night
- Lip Balm and Cold Cream
- Sun Cap or Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Dark Sunglasses. People who wear spectacle may use photochromatic lenses in their spects
- 2 pair of warm socks and at least 2 pair of normal cotton socks
- 1 Pair of slippers/Sandals
- Woolen Cap and Gloves for night
- Toiletries – Tooth brush, Tooth paste, Liquid soap, Hand Sanitizers, Slippers, Light Towel, Toilet Roll (Avoid wet tissues as they are not eco friendly)
- Torch or Headlamp with extra pair of batteries
- Personal Medical Kit: Crocin-Fever, Avomine-Motion Sickness, Avil 25mg – Allergies, Combiflam, Disprin-headache, Norflox TZ & Lomofen-diarrhea, digene-acidity, omez/rantadine antacid, crepe bandages, band aids, ORS, betadiene or antiseptic cream, moov spray/volini, cotton, gauze.
- Water bottle 1 L or Hydration bag 2 L
- Other personal accessories – Camera, Tripod, mobile charger, power banks(as there will be no electricity during the trek)
- Note: AC doesn’t run on hills in fixed departure batches. Standard Non AC vehicles are provided for transportation
- Being a high altitude trek, this trek is suitable for climbers with good physical condition and stamina.
- This is a tentative itinerary which may change as per weather conditions
- We expect you to carry your rucksacks, in case if you want them to be carried by mules back pack offloading charge up to Rs. 300/bag/day is applicable
- In case of any natural calamity the company will not be able to refund the trip charges, for more details check our cancellation policy
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek Map
How to Reach Kashmir?
The difficulty level of Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is moderate to Difficult. Spread over 7 days the ascends are of moderate grading with few difficult sections.
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek cost varies from Rs. 15000 to Rs. 18000 depending on the group size and the time of the year you are planning to do it. Being a very popular trek there are many companies which sell this trek online but only few companies are service providers.
July, august and September are the best months to do Kashmir Great Lakes Trek.
Yes a beginner can do Kashmir Great Lakes trek. If you are a beginner and planning this trek you should have three things in mind.
- Physical fitness : You don’t have to be a fitness freak to do a trek it is just that basic fitness should be maintained. You should not be obese and should not have any medical ailments.
- Mental fitness : You should come with an open mindset and be ready for the harsh conditions winters have to offer.
- Gear : Being a Monsoon trek good gear is extremely essential.
Both treks are the prettiest monsoon treks in the country, equally beautiful and serene. Kashmir Great lakes trek is slightly more difficult than Tarsar Marsar. Kashmir Great lakes is more popular and has more number of trekkers on the trail.
We would say both treks are equally beautiful and the most beautiful in the country
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is a moderate to difficult level trek with few difficult sections.
During the day time the temperature varies from 10 to 18 degrees. During the night time it varies from 8 to 0 degrees.
You can keep extra luggage in the base village for any particular trek. There are no cloak roo charges applicable. Its free of cost
If you are going on a trek don’t expect mobile signals. There are few spots on the trails of few treks where you might find a single tower or something but it always depends if that is enough to make a call or not.
As there are no permanent toilets on the trek, we carry toilet tents which are dry toilets so you need to carry wet tissues/tissue wipes with you.
Yes, TSS team can organize private batches for individual groups, but the cost of the trek may vary according to the number of members in your group. You can talk to our trek coordinator via whatsapp/call to get the customized group rates.
It’s a strict no. If you fall sick during the trek due to alcohol consumption TheSearchingSouls has the right to cancel your trek and send you back to base village. No expenses shall be refunded in that case and you will have to pay additional for stay at base village.
Start running/walking at least 3-4 Kms everyday.
If it’s a snow trek a good trekking shoe is mandatory. If you buy a new shoe do walk for few days so that it fits you well and doesn’t leave you with blisters while you trek. If it is a summer trek or post monsoon trek a shoe with good grip and ankle support will do.
We provide 3 Veg meals and evening Snacks. There will be no non veg served during the trek. Eggs may or may not be served depending on the trek.
We will provide sleeping bags, inner liners,
sleeping mats, tents. You just need to carry
your personal gear.
List of personal Gear is in our website
under Trek Essentials.
Himalaya Journeys Treks &Expedition prides itself on being prepared for any emergency situation. Our guides are trained in first aid and can deal with most of the basic ailments that occur during a trek. Every camp site has basic first aid and oxygen cylinders But if a serious emergency occurs, we will evacuate you to the base village and nearest hospital but the expenses of that has to be borne by the individual
Why Book with TSS?
Kashmir also known as “paradise on earth” is also considered the crown of India. Kashmir Great Lakes Trek starts from Sonmarg which is around 90 Km from Srinagar. This trek is the most beautiful trek in India. The landscapes of this trek are unmatched. Every day is a picture perfect day in the Kashmir Great Lakes trek. The vast meadows are endless and will rejuvenate your soul everyday. It is a must do trek and if you have not done this trek put it on your bucket list right now.
Synopsis of the Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
Our company, The Searching Soul, offers exciting trekking opportunities in the Kashmir Great Lakes Trek, a place that offers a magnificent view of the celestial sky, super abundant meadows and snow paths. We organize Kashmir Great Lakes Trek specially for monsoon trekking as it is a favourable option for trekkers during this time of the year. The monsoon trek of Kashmir Great lakes propounds trekking with adventure in an easy approach which automatically makes it a convenient option. It is fully embraced with natural wonders that makes it one of the most sought after treks in Kashmir. The temperature during the Kashmir Great Lakes Trek goes up to 20 degrees during day time and -2 degrees during night. However, the weather in winter sees the mountains covered in spotless white snow, making it inaccessible in winters.
The base camp for the trek is at Sonmarg. The camp is approximately 3-4 hours drive from Srinagar and this journey in itself is enough to overwhelm a person. The drive to Sonmarg is very beautiful. The difficulty level of the Kashmir Great lakes Trek is of moderate to difficulte grade. July, August and September are best months to undertake the trek. The long trekking distances everyday makes the overall experience slightly challenging.
TheSearchingSouls team work with a motive to explore the non-commercialized destinations in India through the medium of trekking. Our aim is to focus on the minor details to make comfort accessible to the trekkers while scouting in the nature. We are an expert and have an upper hand in the tours and excursion activities which are related to trekking.
Safety with TSS
The Searching Souls have always taken Safety as the utmost Priority in their Treks. We Have a “Zero Negligence” approach toward Safety. As a result, we have taken the Following Steps.
Medical Tents: TSS is the Only Company in the Country that Pitches dedicated Medical Tents to The Slopes at all their Campsites. The Medical Tents consist of a Stretcher, Oxygen Cylinder, First Aid Kits, Oxymeters, and a few other facilities depending on the Slope and the nature of kedarkanta trek.
Qualified Trek leaders: All Our Trek Leaders are Qualified From the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering and have thorough knowledge and experience of the Mountains.
Emergency Planning: Team TSS always plans a step ahead in the Mountains as we believe anything at any time can happen in the Mountains, All Our trek leaders, Camp managers, and Cooks are aware of what should be the Course of Action in case of Medical emergency and Natural Calamities in the kedarkantha trekking package.
TSS Support Team: Safety in the Mountains begins at Home, Proper Planning and preparation are Key in any Mountain Trek. TSS Support Team is always available and will help you prepare better for the Trek through their Expert Knowledge and Guidance.
TSS Jumbo Bags: For executive travelers seeking adventure, trekking is a popular way to explore unfamiliar terrain and find inner peace. However, selecting the right equipment can be crucial to ensure safety and comfort during the journey. TSS recognizes this and offers a solution with their MY JUMBO BAG – BUDDY, which includes all necessary gear for a high-altitude trek at an affordable price. The company also emphasizes the importance of quality equipment in ensuring a successful and memorable trek, while cautioning against overpriced or unnecessary items. With TSS, travelers can confidently embark on their trek, knowing they have a reliable companion in their trek bag.
Are you tired of spending a fortune on expensive trekking equipment? Look no further than MY JUMBO BAG – BUDDY.
Why Experience the wilderness of Kashmir Great Lakes with The Searching Souls?
Expertise: The Searching Souls is a team of experienced trek leaders who are passionate about sharing their love for the outdoors with others. They have extensive knowledge of Kashmir Treks and the surrounding areas, ensuring that you have a safe and enjoyable experience.
Personalized attention: The Searching Souls focuses on adequate group sizes, allowing them to provide personalized attention to each trekker. They take the time to understand your individual needs and interests and customize the trek to ensure that you have the best experience possible.
Safety: Safety is a top priority for The Searching Souls. They provide all necessary safety equipment, including first aid kits and emergency communication devices, and their trek leaders are trained in wilderness first aid.
Responsible tourism: The Searching Souls is committed to responsible tourism practices. They follow Leave No Trace principles, minimizing their impact on the environment, and also support local communities by using local guides and porters.
Memorable experience: The Kashmir Great lakes trek with The searching Souls is not just a trek, but an experience. From the stunning views to the warmth of the local hospitality, the trek is sure to leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.
What should you pack for the Kashmir Great Lakes Trek ?
Basic Trek Essentials
Personal Utilities :
Valley Of Flowers and ...
A hike to the Natural Garden of Flowers amidst the Himalayas. Most popular trek destination in monsoon.
Hampta Pass Trek
It is a pass in the Himalayas of Himachal Pradesh connecting Kullu and Spiti valley
Bhrigu Lake Trek
Bhrigu Lake is a high altitude trek in the himalayas of Kullu district of Himanchal Pradesh.