Contact for more details
Mode of Transportation
Summary of Roopkund Trekking
|RoopKund Trek Altitude / RoopKund Trek Distance||⛰15,696 ft / 📍53 kms|
Roopkund Trek Overview & Itinerary
Roopkund famously known as the Skeletal Lake, is a high altitude glacial lake in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. The trek to Roopkund is among the best and must do treks of the country as it offers different varieties and change of landscape ranging from lush green meadows to forest trails, high altitude green meadows, snow capped mountains, a high altitude glacial lake and finally a high altitude Himalayan pass i.e . Junargali Pass. Situated at the footsteps of mighty Trishul & Nanda Ghuti Peaks, Roopkund is famous for mysterious hundreds of human skeletons found at the periphery of the lake. Situated at an astonishing altitude of 5029 metres above sea level, this lake remains frozen for most parts of the year and its after monsoon that the snow melts and one can see hundreds of human skeletons around the edges of the lake. The trek to Roopkund crosses through high meadows of Bedni Bugyal, considered as the most beautiful bugyal of Himalayan region. The trek to Roopkund starts from Lohajung which also serves as the base of Brahmatal Trek. The trail from Lohajung to Junargali pass is of 26 km of moderate grade with some level walks in between. This trek do requires physical fitness and stamina and is not suitable for persons with heart problems, blood pressure and asthma patients.
What is special about Roopkund trekking?
Roopkund Trekking Trip Video
ROOPKUND TREK ITINERARY
Day 01: Kathgodam to Lohajung
Altitude: 2337 metres, 230 km drive, approx 8 hours
- Trekkers will be picked up from Kathgodam Railway/Bus Station at 6 a.m.
- 250 km ride to Lohajung in a cab through beautiful roads of Kumaon passing through Almora, Kausani, Gwaldam.
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided during the journey. (Exclusive of the charges)
- Arrival at Lohajung by 6.p.m.
- Halt at the guest house/hotel in Lohajung.
- Dinner at Lohajung.
- A quick introduction with team members and fellow trekkers at the guest house.
Day 02: Lohajung to Wan to Gharoli Patal
Altitude: 3010 metres, 12 km drive and 7 km trek
- Excursion from Lohajung to Wan in a cab after breakfast, followed by a 7 km to Gharoli Patal.
- The trek commences from Wan village, with a initial steep climb and gradual walk midway.
- The trail passes through forest offering variety of flora and fauna with glimpses of Neelganga River along the way.
- Arrival at the campsite at Gharoli Patal.
- Evening snacks and refreshments.
- Dinner at the campsite.
Day 03: Gharoli Patal to Bedni Bugyal to Patar Nauchani
Altitude: 3910 metres, 11 km trek
- Excursion to Patar Nauchani from the campsite after breakfast.
- The trek will pass through Bedni Bugyal, one of the most beautiful high altitude meadows with relatively easy grade crossing different meadows in between.
- Arrival at the Bedni Bugyal surrounded by green meadows all around with Mt. Trishul and Chaukhambha parvat in the backdrop.
- Rest at Bedni Bugyal followed by a gradual climb and descend to Patar Nauchani.
- Arrival at the Patar Nauchani campsite.
- Evening refreshments and rest.
- Dinner and overnight stay at the camps.
Day 04: Patar Nauchani to Kaluvinayak to Bhagwabasa.
Altitude: 4305 metres, 6 km trek
- Early morning ascent to Bhagwabasa campsite after breakfast.
- Steep climb in the initial stages of the trail till Kaluvinayak temple.
- Arrival at tha Kaluvinayak temple midway.
- Rest at the Kaluvinayak temple for acclimatization followed by gradual and moderate climb to Bhagwabasa campsite.
- The trail to Bhagwabasa may be tricky due to presence of rocky and snow patches in between.
- Arrival at Bhagwabasa campsite. Bring sufficient woolen cloths as it is among the coldest campsites of the trek.
- Evening acclimatization walk in the evening preparing for the summit day ahead.
- Evening refreshments and tea.
- Dinner and stay at the camps.
Day 05: Bhagwabasa to Roopkund Summit to Bedni Bugyal.
Altitude: 5029 metres, 14 km trek
- Early morning excursion to Roopkund Summit from Bhagwabasa after breakfast.
- Challenging day of the trek, comprising of steep climb of 4 km to Roopkund Summit.
- Carry energy bars, oars and water for the summit.
- Rest at the Skeletal Lake. The lake remains frozen pre-monsoon and one may find the skeletons post-monsoon along the periphery of the lake.
- 10 km descend back to Bedni Bugyal from the summit.
- Arrival at Bedni Bugyal campsite followed by refreshments
- Dinner and overnight stay at Bedni campsite.
Day 06: Bedni Bugyal to Lohajung
Altitude: 2337 metres, 13 km trek and 12 km drive
- Excursion to Lohajung from Bedni campsite after breakfast.
- 13 km descend trek to Wan village crossing Gharoli Patal.
- 12 km drive from Wan village to Lohajung.
- Arrival at Lohajung in evening.
- Stay at a hotel/guest house in Lohajung.
- Dinner at Lohajung followed by rest in hotel.
Day07: Lohajung to Kathgodam
230 km drive
- Departure from Lohajung to Kathgodam after the breakfast
- 230 km ride back to Kathgodam via Gwaldam, Kausani, Almora,.
- Expected time of arrival 6 p.m
- Backpack/Ruck Sack (at least 55 Litres) and a small day bag ( upto 15 litres) for summit day
- Poncho/Raincoat and Rain Cover for Ruck Sack
- 2 Quick Dry T-shirts (preferably Full Sleeves) and Track Pants
- Warm Jacket preferably a down jacket or an equivalent heavy jacket to protect from cold at night
- Comfortable Shoes with a good grip and ankle support. We recommend Quechua Forclaz 100 or similar shoe
- A pair of fleece jacket or fleece upper
- Good Thermals for insulation at night
- Lip Balm and Cold Cream
- Sun Cap or Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Dark Sunglasses. People who wear spectacle may use photochromatic lenses in their spects
- 2 pair of warm socks and at least 2 pair of normal cotton socks
- 1 Pair of slippers/Sandals
- Woolen Cap and Gloves for night
- Toiletries – Tooth brush, Tooth paste, Liquid soap, Hand Sanitizers, Slippers, Light Towel, Toilet Roll (Avoid wet tissues as they are not eco friendly)
- Torch or Headlamp with extra pair of batteries
- Personal Medical Kit: Diamox-Mountain Sickness, Crocin-Fever, Avomine-Motion Sickness, Avil 25mg – Allergies, Combiflam, Disprin-headache, Norflox TZ & Lomofen-diarrhea, digene-acidity, omez/rantadine antacid, crepe bandages, band aids, ORS, betadiene or antiseptic cream, moov spray/volini, cotton, gauze.
- Water bottle 1 L or Hydration bag 2 L
- Other personal accessories – Camera, Tripod, mobile charger, power banks(as there will be no electricity during the trek)
- Being a high altitude trek, this trek is suitable for climbers with good physical condition and stamina.
- This is a tentative itinerary which may change as per weather conditions
- We expect you to carry your rucksacks, in case if you want them to be carried by mules back pack offloading charge up to Rs. 300/bag/day is applicable
- In case of any natural calamity the company will not be able to refund the trip charges, for more details check our cancellation policy